Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm now Israeli!!!

Augest 14, 2008....One of the happiest days of my life!  
After a long 14 hour flight from LA I arrived in the Holy Land. It was a good flight except for a few throwing up episodes in the bathroom, due to eating too many dried Endemme beans-thanks Trader Joes! As we landed my eyes swelled up with tears...I'M HOME!! As the wheels touched the ground everyone on the plane started clapping. I felt like I was going to burst, I was so happy! I got off the plane and behold my name was on a sign held by someone...YEY! I have always wanted to see my name on a sign at the airport-I always thought "those" people were so cool! I then was led into places that I have never been before in the airport...through secret passages and elevators that require codes. I felt like I was in the FBI. I waited in a room that had a coffee, water and juice machine...which I made good use of. Apple and Orange juice, not suck a good combination-keep that in mind. I then spent the next hour watching the Olympics in Hebrew (sorry America for losing to China in women gymnastics). 

I was then greeted by a lady who was going to look over my paperwork and issue my Entrance ID card and 'lo and behold she doesn't speaks English! I guess they really want to make sure new immigrants feel welcomed :) She asked me my name and as I spelled it out to her in English she starts writing"T...R...V". I took the pen and wrote it for her, the rest of our session was done in sign language...just kidding. After working through the language barrier I got my bags and the minute I get out of baggage claim I saw my wonderful fiance, Yosef!!! Whoo Hooo Long Distance is over!
I cant believe that my dream has become a reality...I have made ALIYA! There is so much I have missed about Israel! For ex: when I got a cab this morning, the cabdriver asked me if he can stop really fast to drop off a prescription before he took me to my destination. We get to the pharmacy and he jumped out of the car, which he kept running. It's a good thing I have morals because I could sure use a car here! I tried to go to Misrat HaPanim (Ministry of Interior) today to get my ID card and after the wonderful episode of pushing, shouting and shoving that comes along with trying to get into the building (Gotta love Israel) I am told that I'm not in the system yet and I should come back later....yeah, easy for her to say!
With all the craziness here I have to say it's still good to be back home! It's like family...they drive you crazy but at the end of day, they're family and you love them! Well...here starts the next chapter of my life...and in less than a month I get married!!!! Whoo Hooo! Ani Israeli Achshav (I Am Israeli Now)!!!! Love, Daniella

No comments: