Dear 8th graders,
This year I received the honor of teaching the most passionate, caring, and dedicated group of young adults that I have ever met. Being your teacher for a second year was a gift beyond my imagination. I had the pleasure of witnessing how much you have grown since fifth grade, and I’m not just speaking about your height! You have evolved into mature role models for the younger grades by exemplifying what it means to be a dedicated student and friend.
On the first day of school I read to you the book Oh, the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss. We have been on a long and beautiful journey together this year. I want to share with you something from my heart: If I can give you some advice for the road ahead it would be to discover yourself. Try new things, go on adventures, step out of your comfort zone and trust your gut feeling. Become your own unique person and stand up for what you believe in. Life will not always give you what you think you want.
You know how I like country music, so I just need to add that Garth Brooks said it best when he said, “Some of G-d’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.” I pray you have very little hardship in life. Know, however that everything is an opportunity for growth and through that growth we become stronger. The name “Yisrael” means “to struggle with G-d.” Even in our tradition we are encouraged to question and explore. Sometimes it’s hard to connect to G-d and prayer so search for ways to find your own unique way to talk to Hashem.
Remember that you have two homes: the place where you live and our homeland ISRAEL. You are part of a bigger picture. The Jewish people may be small in numbers, but we have a BIG responsibility: to take care of each other, the earth and Eretz Yisrael. Keep in mind that your ancestors had to endure anti-Semitism, pogroms, the holocaust, expulsions, etc. in order to hold onto their Judaism. Make sure you hold on tightly with both hands to this gift (your heritage!). Mark Twain said it best when he said," If the statistics are right, the Jews constitute but one per cent of the human race. It suggests a nebulous dim puff of star dust lost in the blaze of the Milky Way. Properly the Jew ought hardly to be heard of; but he is heard of, has always been heard of. "
I love you guys and I can’t wait to be invited to your college graduation! Here is my promise to you: When you come to Israel to visit (which I know each of you will!) your first falafel is on me…you have my word!
Please stay in touch and know that you have all left an imprint on my soul that will last a lifetime.
We shouldn’t ask “Who am I?” but rather “Who am I becoming?”
Life is about discovering; it’s a process. Find passion. Find meaning.
Find YOU!
With much love and admiration,
Morah Daniella (dlbenveniste@gmail.com)
“Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away!
Oh, the Places You’ll Go! -Dr. Seuss

No comments:
Post a Comment